To commemorate and support World Fair Trade Day on May 9, 2015, RAHMAN’S CHAMBERS hosted a seminar in Pan Pacific Sonargaon Hotel, Dhaka.
Honourable Mr. Justice AFM Abdur Rahman, High Court Division, Supreme Court of Bangladesh kindly graced the event as Chief Guest. His speech can bee found by clicking here.
Barrister Md. Forrukh Rahman of Rahman’s Chambers began the event by delivering his key note presentation available here. The event was moderated by Mr. Mahburur Rahman, President of International Chamber of Commerce & Chairman, BIAC. Special Guests of the event were as follows:
-Dr. Toufiq Ali, CEO, Bangladesh International Arbitration Centre (BIAC )
– Mr. Kei Kawano, Country Representative, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) & President, Japan-Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce & Industry (JBCCI)
– Mr. Ali Ahmed, CEO, Bangladesh Foreign Trade Institute
– Mr. Md. Manzur Hasan Bhuiya, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Commerce
Five panelists were also present at the event who kindly delivered their respective views and opinion with recommendations from different perspectives. Below is a list of our esteemed special guests:
– Mr. A.M. Mahbub Chowdhury, Advisor Port and Shipping, BGMEA(Senior Financial Sector Specialist), World Bank
– Mr. AKM Abdullah, Founder and CEO, Development Wheel (DEW) (Fair Trade Organization)
– Mr. Shah Abdus Salam,General Manager of Maersk Bangladesh Ltd.
– Mr. Ashish Jamal Haque, General Manager of Maersk Bangladesh Ltd.
– Mr. Abdul Monem (Vice President), Dutch-Bangla Bank Limited
Questions were welcomed from the floor that featured prominent & Hon’ble Justices, industrialists, legal experts, stakeholders & managers.
Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect, that seek greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers – especially in the South.
Fair Trade is more than just trading, amongst other objects:
- It proves that greater justice in world trade is possible.
- It highlights the need for change in the rules and practice of conventional trade.
Fair Trade organizations have a clear commitment to Fair Trade as the principal core of their mission. They, backed by consumers, are engaged actively in supporting producers, awareness raising and in campaigning for changes in the rules and practice of conventional international trade.
The World Fair Trade Day is an initiative of the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) that takes place on the second Saturday of May of each year. It is an inclusive worldwide festival of events celebrating Fair Trade with the aim to bring greater justice in world trade.