Ms. Tangina Akter Liza since joining in 2022 has been playing a major role in resolving disputes involving labour. She diligently handles labour cases and regularly appears before Labour tribunals and appellate tribunals. She made significant progress with the pending trademark works. She works from our Motijheel office, which is within walking distance from both Labour tribunals and Department of Trade mark and Patents office. Mr. Liza is a member of our IT & IP Department & Dispute Resolution Department, which is ranked by Chambers and Partners 2023 Asia Pacific Guide. The editorial says: “Rahman’s Chambers houses a well-regarded litigation practice in Bangladesh with significant experience in construction disputes. The team also assists clients with arbitration proceedings.” In 2022, their editorial also added “has a recognised practice in such areas as business formation, M&A and employment matters”.
Ms. Tangina Akter completed LL.B from University of Asia Pacific in 2018 and LL.M from University of Asia Pacific in 2019. Ms. Akter is an Associate and a member of ADR, Land and Tribunals Team. Ms. Akter joined the Chambers in 2022. Before joining the firm Ms. Akter worked in another reputed law firm.
She is not only in charge of not only registering trademark, patent, design and copy rights etc, she also handles the first hand suit required to be filed before district court for infringement of Intellectual Property rights and deal with injunctions. The Dhaka district court is very near our Motijheel office.
Dispute resolution department where she is a member is ranked under Dispute Resolution for two consecutive years.
IT & IP Department
- Intellectual Property Agreement between Client and Celebrity (Brand Ambassador).
- Drafting JV with a Bank and our client for Fintech enabling MFS and MFAS license.
- Provided legal consultancy to a renowned scientist on several aspects of patent protection and drafting related agreements.
- Trademark TM registration for a number of foreign and local brands and mark.
- Completed trademark registration for UAE Bangladesh Investment Company Limited and few other foreign companies.
- Completed trademark TM registration for Sabrostar Fruit Company S.A and few other foreign companies.
- Completed trademark TM registration for Music Group IP Ltd and few other foreign companies.
Labour Tribunals & Appellate Tribunals
- Resolved a complex dispute and claim involving accidental death of a worker of a Taiwanese client at a garments industry by taking steps as per labour law and before the labour court.
- Assisted a major Japanese client in reaching an out of court settlement in a complex litigation arising from labour disputes.
- Assisted our client, a leading garments sourcing company, in defending its position before Labour Court arising out of lawful termination of its employee during probation period
- Handled cases for a senior employee against a non-compliant Group.
A associate lawyer is an experienced member of a Team, with not less than one year (provided the person is enrolled with local Bar and/or have completed higher study e.g. LLM) or at least two years of experience.
- Master of Laws (LL.M) in Law & Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific (2019)
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) in Law & Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific (2018)
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), Motijheel Model High School & College (2014)
- Secondary School Certificate (SSC), Motijheel Model High School & College (2010)
- Advocate, Dhaka Judge Court (2021)
- Advocate, Dhaka Taxes Bar (2021)
- Rahman’s Chambers
- Law and Equity
- Member, Dhaka Taxes Bar Association
- Advocate, Dhaka Judges Court