Mr. Abdur Rahman Junaid, since joining with us in 2017 as a trainee, continued to impress the Chambers with his sincerity and dedication. In the last four years, he was involved in a wide range of legal works of a number of departments and helped the Chambers to render the services ensuring high quality. He is thorough with his research and analysis and is very meticulous with his work. His major recent works where he proved himself as a valuable member of the Chambers is relating to the due diligence involving fiscal incentives available within SAARC countries under bilateral/multilateral treaties between Bangladesh, India, and other SAARC countries for export and import of a few specified items for Sesa Care.
He is a senior member of the International Department. The department’s international work is recognized under Corporate & Finance by Chambers and Partners 2023 Global Guide. The editorial says: “They are professional, and their team is well organised to assist us with complex and sophisticated matters.”
He is also a senior member of the Construction department which has been ranked under Construction Department ( Projects & Energy) by Chambers and Partners 2023 Asia Pacific Guide. Their editorial says: “Rahman’s Chambers is well regarded for its legal expertise in handling EPC mandates in Bangladesh. The firm also advises on matters in the construction space, including employment concerns. The team often covers due diligence on the construction of projects and also handles disputes relating to projects. Some of its key clients are Lantabur, Unitex and Penta-Ocean Construction.”
Mr. Abdur Rahman Junaid completed Diploma in Law, LLB (2015) from the University of London (UK) & LL.M in International Law and Human Rights from London South Bank University, UK in 2016. Prior to joining the Chambers, Mr. Rahman worked in the education and social welfare & development sector. Mr. Rahman joined the Chambers in 2017. He completed his internship/pupillage with the Chambers and joined as a junior associate. Later in the same year, he was promoted to the associate position. At the time of joining, he was a member of the corporate and commercial department, which allowed him to gain experience in various corporate and commercial transactions and litigations. Due to his keen interest and knowledge of International laws, he was transferred to the International department to deal with more cross-border transactions.
He is a senior associate and a member of the Consultancy and Documentation Team. Besides his regular role, he also efficiently and competently assist the Chambers in managing the affairs of the Motijheel branch, as Motijheel exec. Both departments, where Mr. Junaid is a senior member, are ranked by Chambers and Partners.
- Advised our Client, OTJ – Joint Venture, one of the main contractors of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Railway Bridge Construction Project (the largest railway bridge in Bangladesh which is located on the Jamuna river), involving its rights arising under a bilateral treaty get exemptions from different customs duties.
- Conducted due diligence on several spices, sauce preparation, seasonings, etc. for Gourmet Foods FZC, a concern of Shan Foods Private Limited, and advised on the possible classification (HS Code) under Bangladesh laws, after taking into account WCO Conventions and several other multilateral treaties, both international and national.
- Conducted due diligence involving fiscal incentives available within SAARC countries under bilateral/multilateral treaties between Bangladesh, India and other SAARC countries for export and import of few specified items for Sesa Care.
- Advised TEBIAN (TBEA) China, a Fortune 500 MNC on double taxation, investment treaty and public international law matters involving Bangladesh.
- Vetted and drafted Sales contract and Pro-forma Invoices for several Garments and Textiles, for example, Saturn Textiles Limited, How Are You Textiles Limited etc
- Vetted trade documents and LC documents for several Bank and Financial Institutions such as Dutch-Bangla Bank Limited, First Security Islami Bank Limited etc.
- Drafting Factoring Agreement signed between First Security Islami Bank Limited & PrimaDollar regarding factoring of international trade receivable.
- Advised our Client, a local LPG company, in connection with the construction of LPG Marine Terminal by a South Korean Engineering company relating to the defective supply and installation of submarine hose.
- Advised our Client, Unitex Group, in a transaction involving the architectural design of civil, electrical, plumbing, etc. works in a civil construction project.
- Advised a major construction and engineering company from China named First Northeast Electric Power Engineering Co. (NEPC) on converting temporary import of equipment into permanent imports.
As a consultancy and documentation team member, he was involved in the below works:
- Assisted our client in forming a JV with an MNC for the design, manufacture and supply of wastewater treatment plants for industrial wastewater in the field of textile, petrochemical, pharmaceuticals, food, etc.
- Drafting legal notices, Winding Up petition for Vector Aerospace Engine Services- Atlantic against a local Airline.
- Advised our client, Morgan Tecnica SpA, on the legality and enforceability of an international trade deal backed by promissory notes.
- Advised Unitex Steel Mills Ltd in finalizing a deal with an EPC contractor for the construction of a steel-made structure for its new project.
- Advised client on recovering outstanding dues involving supply of aeronautical parts and equipment against two major local airlines in Bangladesh.
A associate lawyer is an experienced member of a Team, senior to/promoted from the post of Junior Associates. They assist the Chambers with legal research, fact analysis, coordinating with clients on procedural issues. They also prepares legal opinion, draft pleading and finalise the same under the supervision of the senior colleagues. The Exec of a branch assist the management team with day to day management of that branch.
- 2016 Master of Laws in Int. Laws and Human Rights (LL.M), LSBU, UK
- 2015 Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), University of London (UK)
- 2011 Diploma in Law, University of London (UK)
- Advocate, Dhaka Judge Court.
- Member, Dhaka Bar Association
- 2022 – Senior Associate – Rahman’s Chambers
- 2018 – Associate – Rahman’s Chambers
- 2017- Junio Associate- Rahman’s Chambers
- 2017- Trainee- Rahman’s Chambers
Recognition and Award
- Achieved Best Team Performer Certificate – August 2017
- Achieved Best Individual Performer Certificate – November 2017