Senior Associate Chattogram (Chittagong) oversee the legal work of Chattogram branch of our firm. The person is a reasonably senior member of the firm having at least not less than 8 years of experience with permission to appear before higher courts and having the experience to deal with different aspects of practice. In coordination with head-office senior associate Chattogram ensures high standard and timely delivery of legal work which is originated and carried out in Chattogram.
Ms.FariaBintaAlam, LL.B (University of London, UK); LL.M (Dhaka) is an Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh. She has 10 years of experience of working on legal matters for several banks and financial institutions.
She appeared as counsel in both higher and lower judiciary in different civil, banking and commercial matters.
Ms.Alam has a fair understanding of business-related law and she was engaged in advising different corporations and different aspects of law for example taxation, corporate and shipping matters.
As a Senior Associate and Head of Finance Department, she oversees the banking, finance and taxation matter of the firm. She is also a member of the shipping department.
Our finance department has several landmark achievements, notably:
- Represented Bangladesh Bank and Dutch Bangla Bank Limited in the High Court Division and assisted in bringing a major amendment in the Credit Information reporting system for a guarantor.
- Dealt with several litigations involving LC, cash incentive benefit, repatriation of foreign currency over export, money exchange license etc. The reported decision i.e. 17 BLC (HC) 188; 41CLC(HCD)2012 on an application of natural justice in a matter involving money changer license demonstrate the ability and volume of work the firm so far handled.
- Regular appearance in ArthaRinAdalat in both ArthRin suit and execution suit. It has remarkable success record. Besides, in recent times our firm handled few appeal and revision arising from execution suit in particular body warrant.
- Successfully advised Cosco Shipping and assisted in releasing vessel M.V. LE TAI in agency dues related claim.
- Successfully recovered a claim for due salary, wages and service fees for Sea Power Shipping Enterprises Inc., a Ship-Manning company against M. V. LORD.
- We acted on behalf of Master of the vessel M. V. OCEAN RICH jointly with Polaw& Co, a law firm based in Shanghai on issues involving marine supply contract and successfully assisted the Master to release the vessel through negotiation.
- In 2018 we have successfully advised OOCL Bangladesh on customs regulation and power of Bangladesh Customs Authority.
- In 2018 we have advised and provided Legal Opinion to a multinational company regarding applicability of Bangladeshi laws involving Customs and VAT, Tax on donation of bi-products.
- In 2018 we have successfully advised a major South Korean Construction company and provided due diligence report on applicable customs duty, supplementary duty, advance trade VAT, advance income tax on several equipment’s, i.e. bulldozers, generators, pile drivers and extractors etc.
- We have conducted due diligence over VAT, Tax, Custom duties for Sojitz Machinery Corporation, a sogoshosha (General Trading Companies) based in Tokyo, Japan regarding import of Gantry Crane for Chittagong Port authority.
- Masters of Laws (LL.M) (Dhaka, 2010)
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of London, UK (2007)
- A-Level (Edexcel International)
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), Dhaka City College.
- Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh
To be published soon…
Recognition and Award
To be published soon…