Ms. Narita Navin Khan is a one of the top construction lawyer in Bangladesh. She leads our Construction Department ( Projects & Energy) which has been ranked by Chambers and Partners 2023 Asia Pacific Guide. Their editorial says: “Rahman’s Chambers is well regarded for its legal expertise in handling EPC mandates in Bangladesh. The firm also advises on matters in the construction space, including employment concerns. The team often covers due diligence on the construction of projects and also handles disputes relating to projects. Some of its key clients are Lantabur, Unitex and Penta-Ocean Construction.”
Ms. Khan is a senior member of our Corporate & Finance Division, which are ranked under Corporate & Finance by Chambers and Partners 2023 Asia Pacific Guide. The editorial says: “The practice is additionally recognised in areas such as business formation, M&A and employment matters, alongside energy, infrastructure and real estate matters. Advocates at the firm are knowledgeable on restructuring and insolvency procedures. Notable clients advised by the firm include the likes of Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association…”
Ms. Narita Navin Khan is a Barrister of the Hon’ble Society of Lincoln’s Inn, London and an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. She has altogether 11 years’ background in working in the field of corporate, finance & Construction.
Ms. Khan has worked with Dr. Kamal Hossain and Associates from 2008 to 2011 as an associate as a full time lawyer with active interest in corporate and commercial matters, arbitration law, labour law and corporate litigation. She assisted in various cases, both corporate and commercial, as well as represented the senior lawyers in court, conferred with clients on corporate and court matters, drafting of agreements and pleadings etc.
After leaving the firm in 2011, she started to work independently and mostly notably as a retainer of Summit Group. While working as a retainer for Summit she developed expertise in different specialized works like project finance, construction and M & A and so on.
Ms. Khan was the Division Head of Corporate and Finance Division from 2019 till 2021. Since 2022, she is in charge of Construction Division. She is a senior member of (a) Corporate department (b) Investment Department and (c) Taxes and Finance Department. Under her leadership the Chambers’ Construction Department has been ranked by Chambers and Partners.
The Divisional Head is a partner level position at Rahman’s Chambers. The person is responsible for the work of the entire Division he/she leads. Depending on the expertise he/she has, the person may be a senior member/member of one/more department under different division.
Construction (Projects & Energy)
- Acted as a lead counsel for Unitex LP Gas Limited involving design, supply of equipment, project management, supervision, erection and commissioning of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) terminal plant and bottling facilities at Chittagong. We advised clients from the very inception of the project starting with project due diligence, framework agreement, EPC and other related contract drafting.
- Advised client involving connecting railway network and signaling equipment in connection with Ruppur Atomic Power Plant.
- Conducted detailed due diligence of a commercial building located in a prominent commercial area in Dhaka, Bangladesh for the purpose of long term lease by our client. The due diligence not only involved ownership and title but also several licenses and permits required for commercial establishments under Bangladesh laws.
- Advised Big W over a complex Building & Construction due diligence involving legal compliance with Building code, Fire Safety, etc. of a commercial building located at a prime location in Dhaka.
- Negotiated and concluded EPC contracts between Summit Narayanganj Power Company Limited with The First Northeast Electric Power Engineering Ltd
- Negotiated and concluded O&M contracts between Summit Narayanganj Power Company Limited with KEPCO Plant Service & Engineering Co., Ltd.
Design & Drawing
- Advised our Client, Unitex Group, in a transaction involving the architectural design of civil, electrical, plumbing, etc. works in a civil construction project.
Corporate and Finance
- Assisted in the equity investment and sale and transfer of shares of Summit Corporation Limited to Summit Power International (Pte.) Limited, with international financing corporations.
- Assisted in the preparation of the IPO process of Summit Power International Limited, on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited (“SGX-ST”), which involved due diligence on the company and its subsidiaries in Bangladesh, reviewing the legal portions of the prospectus, responding to various queries from the SGX-ST.
Merger & Acquisition
- Summit Alliance Port Limited with Ocean Containers Limited.
- Summit Communications Limited with Vertex Communications Limited.
- Summit Power Limited with Summit Narayanganj Power Limited, Summit Uttaranchal. Power Company Limited, and Summit Purbanchol Power Company Limited.
- Young one Shoes Accessories Industries Limited with Youngone Sports Shoes Industries
- Pacific Zipper Bangladesh Limited with HHH Accessories Industry Limited.
- Youngone (CEPZ) Limited with Youngone Sportswear (CEPZ) Limited.
Titas Sportswear Industries Ltd with Lalmai Sportswear Industries Ltd
Youngone Sports Shoes Industries Ltd with Youngone Shoes Accessories Industries Ltd
- Conducted due diligence on a number of legal issues involving procurement of equipment etc on behalf of Persero PT, for a govt bidding process under the Ministry of Railways, in connection with the Roopur Atomic Power Plant.
- Jointly worked with Deloitte, for BGMEA in a major project involving modernizing and upgrading the bankruptcy and insolvency laws of Bangladesh. The report suggested significant changes in the present Bankruptcy Act 1997 in order introduce insolvency resolution, separate specialized tribunals, insolvency professionals etc.
Taxes and Finance
Ms. Khan has deep understanding on projects finance transactions involving BOT/BOO based PPP projects for her long engagement with Summit group. She was involved in negotiating several finance documents with Multilateral development banks e.g. Islamic Development Bank, international financial institutions e.g. IFC, development financial institutions like DEG, FMO, OFID, Regional development banks e.g. ADB. She was involved with the following works amongst others:
- Acted as Project Sponsor’s counsel in relation to the implementation and financing for the following power projects Summit Narayanganj Power Limited – Negotiated and concluded Term Loan Facility and other security documentation between Summit Narayanganj Power Company Limited and DEG – DEUTSCHE INVESTITIONS- UND ENTWICKLUNGSGESELLSCHAFT MBH and NEDERLANDSE FINANCIERINGS- MAATSCHAPPIJ VOOR ONTWIKKELINGSLANDEN N.V for USD 45m
- Summit Meghnaghat Power Company Limited – Negotiated and concluded long term financing of dual fuel power plant for USD 190m with the Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL), Standard Chartered Bank and a syndicate of European DFIs, as well as EPC and O& amp; M contracts with The First Northeast Electric Power Engineering Co. Ltd and KEPCO Plant Service & Engineering Co., Ltd respectively.
- Ace Alliance Power Limited – Negotiated and concluded long term financing of dual fuel power plant for USD 68 m with IDCOL, OFID and ICD.
- Summit Bibiyana II Power Company Limited – Negotiated and concluded long term financing of USD 210m with ADB, IFC and Islamic Development Bank.
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent), Inns of Court School of Law, UK (2007)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Professional Legal Skills, Inns of Court School of Law, UK (2007)
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (Upper Second Class), University of London, UK (2006)
- Diploma-in-law, University of London, UK (2004)
- Higher School Certificate (1st Class), Viqarunnisa Noon School, Dhaka (2002)
- Secondary School Certificate (1st Class), Viqarunnisa Noon School, Dhaka, (2000)
- Barrister-at-Law of Lincoln’s Inn, London (2007)
- Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh (2010)
- Advocate, District Court of Bangladesh (2008)
Recognition and Award
- Contributed to the Bangladesh Chapter of ‘Investing Across Borders 2010’, a World Bank Group report providing objective measures of foreign direct investment regulation and its implementation.
- Divisional Head, Construction Division (2022 – till date)
- Divisional Head, Corporate & Finance Division (2019 – 2021)
- Retainer, Summit Group
- Ex Associate, Dr. Kamal Hossain and Associates (October ‘08 – May ‘11)