Fraud and White collar crimes
Bangladesh is an emerging tiger in South East Asis as it has skilled labor force and strong collective desire to eliminate poverty. The coutry on its entiretiy is trying to improve its living standard and per capita income . Although significant commercial and business transaction are taking place, the activities which are classified as business crimes are also present.
Legal supports are required to deal with local and international trade fraud, fraudulent misrepresentation by employees, fraudulent dishonor of cheque etc. Besides knowingly or unknowingly businessman are often exposed to financial crime for example for TAX evasion, violation of Foreign Exchange Regulation (FOREX), money laundering and terrorist finance etc, which require strong legal assistance.
On the other hand, cases relating to libel and slander are also not very uncommon in the corporate and commercial arena. Rahman’s Chambers from its is very inception engaged in providing legal assistance to public sector and private enterprises in this area of practice.
Mr. Rahman with Mr. Liu Shuang Chuan, CEO of How Are You Textiles Ltd in an event organised by Chambers in 2012.
“The ‘very responsible, responsive and knowledgeable’ Mohammed Forrukh Rahman heads the firm..”
– Legal 500, 2018
“Their response times are excellent and they make you feel generally very well informed.”
– Chambers & Partners, 2018
Rahman’s Chambers is one of the market leaders in analyzing, identifying and prosecuting and defending critical and complex fraud cases with high success record. We have successfully recovered dues originally fraudulently misappropriated within 6 months by prosecuting before learned magistrate court. Our experience covers almost all types of white collar crimes.
We have successfully assisted clients in the following matters:
- We have successfully challenged a proceedings under Foods Safety Act 2013 brought before special magistrate court by filing quashment proceedings before Hon’ble High Court Division against K B Foods Ltd of Khan Bahadur Group.
- Rahman was involved in drafting several Foreign Exchange related circular as a member of legal counsel in a World Bank Project in the Central Bank.
- Successfully recovered payment under LC and sales contract for How Are You Textiles Ltd by bringing criminal proceeding which involves issues like violation of FOREX, UCP600, misappropriation, deception etc.
- Time to time advised Abu dhabi Fund for Development on FOREX and other law having impact on investment. Advised GAB Ltd. (Gildan) on several aspects of Foreign Exchange Regulation.
- Successfully obtained judgement and order in cheque dishonor cases for UBICO.
- Successfully advised Uttara Foods and Feeds Limited over a number of libel issues. Successfully defended UBICO over a libel claim filed in District Court.
- Successfully able to secure arrest order in criminal cases filed against Ex employee of Teijin Frontier Company Limited and Uttara Foods and Feeds Limited.
- Mr. Rahman, the head of the Chambers was involved in Drafting Money Laundering & Terrorist Finance Act 2005 & vetting Money Laundering Manual of Bangladesh Bank while he was a member of Legal Counsel, CBSP at Bangladesh Bank ( Central Bank).
We acted for several companies in defending cheque dishonor cases in Magistrate Court, Session Court and High Court successfully. The Chamber has been dealing with this type of cases since very inception for Companies, Banks and Financial Institutions. Chamber has successfully obtained Judgment in favour of our Client in various occasions.
The Chamber is a one of the leading law firm in the area of LC related fraud. The Firm has a vast experience for acting for buyer, seller and LC opening and negotiating Bank with a high success rate. Besides we have developed significant expertise in dealing with employee related fraud and misappropriation.
The Chamber has been doing consultancy on money laundering since 2008 for Bangladesh Bank. The Chamber is one of the first law firms who have experience in handling the money laundering cases successfully for central bank. Moreover, Mr. Rahman, the head of the Chambers was involved in Drafting Money Laundering & Terrorist Finance Act 2005 & vetting Money Laundering Manual of Bangladesh Bank.
The Chambers gives regular and also defend them in court legal support to its clients who are exposed to financial crime related investigations or against whom legal proceedings are being launched.
Cases like libel and slander are within our expertise as we have already defended client in such matters.
Our Related Clients
- UAE Bangladesh Investment Company Limited (UBICO)
- Anwar Group of Industries
- Biswas Group
- S A Group
- Seven Properties Limited
- First security Islami Bank Limited (FSIBL)
- Bangladesh Bank(Past)
- Islamic Finance and Investment Limited (IFIL)
- How Are You Textile Industry Limited
- Rashawa Spinning Mills Limited
- Uttara Foods and Feeds Limited.
- G.A.B Limited (Gildan)
- Teijin Frontier Company Limited
- High-net-worth individuals