Rahman’s Chambers offers a strong blend of legal acumen and industry knowledge in the Transportation sector, which includes Aviation, Railway, automotive and Logistics related matters etc. We advise logistic companies, manufacturers, intermediaries and service providers. We advise clients on different aspects of transportation laws, transactions and also handles disputes before courts and tribunals. The Chambers and Partners 2022 Asia Pacific Guide ranked us as under the spotlight for Shipping for consecutive five years which covers other transportation works. They commented “‘One source states: ‘Their solution-based and customer-oriented approach is enormously helpful in reaching the best solution.’ “Rahman’s Chambers acted for Alaris Aerospace Systems in a dispute over non-payment related to the supply of aeronautical parts and equipment.”
“They are friendly and work for us enthusiastically.“
– Chambers & Partners, 2022
“It is a highly efficient team which always offers timely support.”
– Chambers & Partners, 2021
– Chambers & Partners, 2020, 2019
“Their response times are excellent and they make you feel generally very well informed..”
– Chambers & Partners, 2018
Practice Guide – Commercial
Transportation law covers most aspects of travel, carriage and commerce on the streets and highways, railways, in the air, [and on the water, covered under our shipping department] including regulation of vehicles, carrier’s liability, implementation of safety standards and oversight of activity. Much of transportation law comes from the government agencies that make regulations and oversee compliance with the regulations that they create. The laws affecting transportation pertain not only to different modes of transit, but also to the infrastructure that supports them, such as roads, bridges, airports, trails, ports, etc. Transportation industry clients come from every area: aviation, motor carrier, railroad, automotive. They are not just the providers, but also the consumers and intermediaries: manufacturers, distributors, forwarders, brokers and logistics consultants.
We have advised airlines suppliers, passengers, service providers etc on very different issues & Claims.:
- Advised client on recovering outstanding dues involving supply of aeronautical parts and equipments against two major local airlines in Bangladesh.
- Successfully filed a Winding-Up petition ( final hearing pending) against United Airways (BD) Ltd for Vector Aerospace Engine Services, a Canadian engine manufacturer & supplier for recovery of dues arising from the lease of an aircraft engine. The case involved several complexities, for example, outstanding dues of the Civil Aviation Authority Bangladesh (CAAB) for Airport charges. Besides, Several regulatory interferences by the Security Exchange Commission. Dhaka stock exchange (DSE) and Chittagong stock exchange (CSE) index although & ‘Z’ Categorization by the clients claim relates to return of Aircraft engine and payment of a rental charge.
- Provided legal consultancy services for AIRVATA.
- We handled litigation against GMG Airline Ltd, for recovery of service due.
- Sheraton Dhaka had outstanding against dues for staying at hotel catering services and uses of an airport lounge.
- We advised cargo operator Mid Asia Airlines Ltd, on setting up business.
- We advised an US-based foreign equipment supplier on several legal issues against Bangladesh Biman.
- We have advised individual passenger over disputes involving loss and damages arising from unlawful boarding refusal.
- We advised a Indonesian company on railways signaling work involving Ruppore Atomic Power Station.
- We advised Lifan Group on establishing an automotive warehouse and showroom.
- Advising Yusen Logistics (Bangladesh) Ltd., a subsidiary of Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK LINE), on global transactional terms and conditions relating to shipment of containerized cargo involving Bangladesh.
- We have assisted Global One International Logistics Co. Ltd. in setting up its business in Bangladesh.
- We have advised Prantik Group in recovering its due arising from providing logistic services.
Aviation Financing includes all forms of aviation finance and leasing transactions, whether involving commercial aircraft or corporate air carriers (generally helicopters in Bangladesh context).
Services in the Aviation Financing sector generally includes:
- On sale, acquisition, financing and leasing of both new and used aircrafts
- Various forms of aircraft financing including but not limited to Pre-Delivery Payment (“PDP”) financing, Japanese Operating Lease (“JOL”) / Japanese Operating Lease with Call Option (“JOLCO”), Sha’riah based compliant financing etc.
Aviation Regulatory sector involves in-depth knowledge and understanding of the aviation industry along with keen technical and legal expertise.
Services in this sector may include
- Interpretation and compliance of various Civil Aviation Regulations,
- consumer protection legislation,
- competition cartel and alliance issues,
- price fixing investigations,
- Airports Regulations,
- slots advice and transfers,
- regulatory safety compliance etc
Aviation Dispute Resolution
In the emerging Aviation sector of Bangladesh, with an abundance of stakeholders, both domestic and foreign, swift dispute resolution is key by way of international arbitration proceedings, ranging from redelivery disputes and repossessions to commercial disputes with third party suppliers and major accidents and incidents etc.
As such, clients in this sector may include as follows
- financiers and the major transportation banks
- maintenance repair and overhaul organizations
- airline associations etc.
- Asset and lease financing, project finance, capital markets, structured finance, commodity finance and securitization
- Corporate finance, M&A and privatization (upon applicability)
- Real estate, including urban development and planning
- Infrastructure (including track, signaling and airport links), procurement, construction and finance
- Station and depot procurement, construction, financing and access, etc.
Legal Services in the Rail Regulatory sector may include:
- Rail regulatory advice
- Procurement law, policy guidelines and rail regulation
- Light rail, trams, High-speed rail, underground and metro projects
- Health and safety etc.
Rail Dispute Resolution
Legal Services in the Rail Dispute Resolution sector may include:
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Employment and labor, including benefits and pensions etc.
Legal Services in the Automotive Finance sector may include:
- Corporate advice and transactions
- Dealership distribution/franchising
- Dealership stock and other funding
- Reorganization, restructuring, insolvency, etc
Legal Services in the Automotive Regulatory sector may include:
- Competition and other regulatory issues
- Concession, Statutory exemptions, Govt relations, etc.
Legal Services in the Automotive Dispute Resolution sector may include:
- Motor finance recovery litigation
- Employment law
- Product liability
- End-user quality and other disputes, etc.
Our Services Includes
- Aviation Ownership & Lease Agreements.
- Aviation related Finance Transactions.
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Deaths.
- Aviation & Contract Disputes.
- Carriage of Goods by air.
- Aviation supplies and Repair agreements.
- Aviation Arbitration.
- Aviation recovery and other Litigation.
Our Related Clients
- Vector Aerospace Engine Services, Canada
- Alaris Aerospace Systems LLC
- Aero Instruments & Avionics, Inc.
- Mid Asia Airlines Limited.
- Hotel Sheraton Dhaka
- Individual Clients.
Related Resources - Library
The value of law reports in the legal profession cannot be overemphasized. They can be regarded as the life-wire of the legal profession. We have a rich library with a mixture of printed and online legal databases. We have printed version of All England Commercial Cases, Indian Digest of Supreme Court cases, Yearbook Commercial Arbitration of Wolter Kluwer and most law reports of Bangladesh. We subscribe to the online legal database Manuputra providing access to most reputed law reports. Read more