Mr. Md. Abdul Khaleque, Advocate Supreme Court of Bangladesh, is one of the top corporate and finance lawyers in Bangladesh, having twenty-three years of experience in the Corporate and Finance field of law e.g. corporate transactions involving company secretarial works, company formation, partnership, taxation matters, property transactions, banking and finance transactions like syndicated loans, corporate and Islamic banking and disputes, labor and employment matters. During his long career, he worked in the renowned law firm M/s Lee, Khan and Partners (now dissolved), Omar Sadat & Associates and also worked as an in-house counsel of Bahrabad Gas Systems Limited, Akij Group, etc.
Mr. Khaleque leads our Corporate and Finance Division comprising Corporate, Investment, Taxes & Finance departments, which is ranked under Corporate & Finance by Chambers and Partners 2023 Asia Pacific Guide. The editorial says: “The practice is additionally recognised in areas such as business formation, M&A and employment matters, alongside energy, infrastructure and real estate matters. Advocates at the firm are knowledgeable on restructuring and insolvency procedures. Notable clients advised by the firm include the likes of Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association…”
Mr. Khaleque is an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. He has altogether twenty-three years’ background working in the field of corporate, tax, and finance.
Throughout Mr. Khaleque’s illustrious career, he has worked with a number of reputed law firms both inside and outside of the capital of Dhaka, and also acted as in-house Counsel for a well-known group of companies in the manufacturing and energy sector. He is well-versed in all matters pertaining corporate, finance, taxation with an active interest in commercial matters, arbitration law, labor law and corporate litigation. He has acted as lead and also assisted in various cases, both corporate and commercial, conferred with clients on corporate and court matters, drafting of agreements and pleadings, etc.
Despite being a new addition to the Firm, due to his immense work experiences, Mr. Khaleque leads the Corporate and Finance Division and is also a senior member of the (a) Corporate department (b) Investment Department and (c) Taxes and Finance Department.
The Divisional Head is a partner level position at Rahman’s Chambers. The person is responsible for the work of the entire Division he/she leads. Depending on the expertise he/she has, the person may be a senior member/member of one/more department under different division.
Corporate and Finance
- Advised Clients on Share dilution, restructuring in compliance with legal due diligence, increase of share capital both ordinary and preference shares and other complex reorganization work for a number of companies.
- Advised Clients and conducted due diligence, negotiated and also prepared all transaction documents for 100% Share acquisition and Takeover of local company.
- Advised Clients on disputes involving shareholders’ rights and exit options, in particular, forfeiture of share, the rectification of share register, holding EGM and voting by-poll, etc.
- Assisted and advised in corporate reorganization of a major company and a major foreign investment company in the RMG sector amongst its shareholders.
- Drafted deeds, instruments, advised in the formation of a gratuity deposit fund trust and also assisted in the process of registering the trust with the National Board of Revenue to facilitate the process of claiming tax exemptions applicable for gratuity payment.
- Advised Clients on the process of voluntary liquidation.
- Annual Return filing and other formalities, holding General Meeting and assisting in other corporate affairs etc. for several companies.
Taxes and Finance
- Acted as Counsel, filed cases and defended clients interest before the Honble Artha Rin Court involving calculation of interest, payment adjustment, excessive claim by bank, etc. and also secured moratorium and/or payment by installment allowing the client to deal with the insolvency situation.
- Handled several litigations for and against Bank/NBFI(s) in Artha Rin Adalat (Loan recovery), magistrate court (cheque dishonor) executions cases, involving issuance of warrant and attachments of assets. Also handled several writ/revision for and against Bank/NBFI in high court arising from Arhta Rin Adalat order, magistrate court order, artha rin execution order.
- Advised Clients during his long experience of working on banking matters including loan security documentation works like verification of Property Documents, search in sub-registry and joint-stock, drafting Mortgage deeds, negative mortgage, Bank Guarantee, Power of Attorneys, revocation of power, Deed of Redemption, letter of Hypothecation, deed of Floating Charges, satisfaction, modification of charges, etc. and also various lending agreements e.g. term loan agreement, lease agreement, etc.
- Advised Clients on setting up industrial registration with BIDA relating to construction works in order to avail several incentives available for investors. Such works are quite complex as it generally involves the lease of industrial land, acquiring an industrial trade license, several inspections from authorities for the suitability of the project, etc.
- Conducted several due diligence and advised clients on different business setup structures in various sectors in Bangladesh, including but not limited to advising on E-visa recommendation, E-visa, Work Permit, Security Clearance, extension of E-visa, securing foreign loans etc.
- LLM (Master of Laws), Islamic University Kushtia, Bangladesh (1996)
- LLB (Hons), Islamic University Kushtia, Bangladesh (1995)
- Higher School Certificate (2nd Division), Cantonment College, Jessore (1990)
- Secondary School Certificate (1st Class), Shahapur Nagar Borni High School, Jessore (1988)
- Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh (2001)
- Advocate, District Court of Bangladesh (2000)
Recognition and Award
- To be updated.
- Divisional Head, Corporate & Finance Division (2023 – ongoing)
- Company Secretary (Part time), Akij Group (2019 – 2022)
- Associate Lawyer, Lee, Khan & Partners (2004-2006)
- Legal Adviser, Bombay Sweets and Co. (2003-2004)
- Associate Lawyer, Lee, Khan & Partners (2003-2003)
- Lawyer, J.U. Sarker & Associates (Corporate Law Firm) (2002-2003)
- Associate Lawyer, Omar Sadat and Associates (2001-2002)
- Law Officer, Bakhrabad Gas Systems Limited (BGSL) (2000-2001)
- Associate Lawyer, Gazi Enamul Hoque & Associates, Jessore (1999-2000)