The Chambers lawyers deep insight into the laws and regulations and also practical experience of dealing with legal issues involving shipping. The firm has developed expertise in drafting shipbuilding contracts, bank guarantees, etc. The Chambers acts for foreign buyers of ship items etc. and often advises clients over trade terms on shipbreaking. We are under the spotlight accordingly to Chambers and partners for wide range of shipping works, it says “Specialist shipping practice covering the full scope of maritime issues”. Again this year, the Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2021 ranked us as under the spotlight for shipping and gave review: “Specialist shipping practice covering the full scope of maritime issues including ship arrests, marine insurance, bills of lading and admiralty. Also active on collision cases, often representing international P&I clubs and shipping companies”.
“Also active on collision cases, often representing international P&I clubs and shipping companies.”
– Chambers and Partners, 2021
“the firm is “thorough in terms of maritimelaw, investigating facts in detail, and are good at following up.”
– Chambers and Partners, 2020
Rahman’s Chambers has been recognized as a “Spotlight Law Firm” and also ranked for “Shipping” by Chambers and Partners, 2019.
“Specialist shipping practice covering the full scope of maritime issues including ship arrests, marine insurance, bills of lading and admiralty. Also handles shipbuilding matters as well as ownership disputes, mortgage claims and cargo damage claims”
– Chambers and Partners, 2019
“Their response times are excellentand they make you feel generally very well informed…”
– Chambers & Partners, 2018.
We represented a substantial German ship-owner, who had ordered four new buildings at a shipyard in Bangladesh. Unfortunately, all these four shipbuilding contracts failed and were ultimately canceled by our clients, which gave rise to very complex legal proceedings in Germany, England and Bangladesh. Mr. Rahman handled various proceedings in Bangladesh for our client against the local shipyard and its financing banks. He did so in a most effective, successful and cost-effective manner. We can therefore highly recommend the legal services of Mr. Rahman to any party, which needs legal support in Bangladesh in matters relating to international trade, financing and transport.
Our Experience includes:
- Drafted shipbuilding contract between Narayangonj Engineering & Shipbuilding Ltd. (NESL) and Bashundhara Group involving the building of tanker/cargo/LPG vessels at the respective party’s shipyard using yard site, infrastructure, equipment’s, administrative and other services.
- Provided legal consultancy to Intraco Lines Ltd and drafted joint venture agreement formed between Intraco Lines Ltd and CGFK Trading Co. Ltd.
- Provided legal consultancy and drafted agreement formed between a major Russian shipbuilding company and a local company involving building and supply of vessel under G2G contract.
- Successfully litigated a Civil Revision between Ernst Komrowski Holding KG (GmbH & Co) vs Ananda Shipyard and Slipways Ltd over claim involving finance for infrastructure development of builder.
- Conducted legal due diligence for foreign buyer relating to ship breaking items.
M&A (SHARE ACQUISITION)
- Advised a Japanese MNC in acquiring shares in a major JV company in Bangladesh providing logistic services.
- Advised a major Japanese MNC in selling shares of a marine fisheries company in Bangladesh.
Practice Guide – Shipping
Gradually, the reputation of Bangladesh as a shipbuilding nation is growing internationally. As the industry grows so does the disputes between the shipbuilders and purchasers. Shipbuilding is a huge investment project involving joint effort and finance from Banks, overseas and local entrepreneurs, etc. Local shipbuilders are now involved in shipbuilding works of both local and international customers keeping related service industry busy. Legal service is often very crucial to conduct due diligence as to bank finance, foreign lending, builders and buyers company’s legal health, tax, VAT and customs matters and incentives for such major construction projects. Besides, the shipbuilding contract being a complex construction agreement is mostly drafted by a lawyer so that it covers all aspects of local and international laws. The Shipbreaking industry alike the shipbuilding industry is of vital importance as it produces raw materials to the steel industry, shipbuilding industry, local and south Asian several industries and others. The shipbreaking industry in Bangladesh has emerged rapidly primarily owing to economic labor costs. The shipbreaking industry involves environmental issues, commercial scrap contracts, sale of scrap items, shipbreaking industries, personal injury cases, employer’s liability, etc. Legal service is paramount to address the aforementioned issues revolving around the shipbreaking industry in Bangladesh.
Shipping transactions related service are required by banks mostly involving legal due diligence, regulations and registration of mortgage and charges with MMD.
Clients often requires advisory services on regulation on several aspects on shipping e.g. crew operation, costal trade, licensing, permitting, opening business setup for shipping ad logistic services.
Investment in shipping industry requires prior due diligence as there are country specific regulations and restrictions.
M & A in shipping industry requires prior due diligence as there are country specific regulations and restrictions.
Our Related Clients
- Komrowski Maritim GmbH
- Hildrebrand Singapore Pte Ltd
- Ernst Komrowski Holding KG (GmbH & Co.)
- Narayangonj Engineering & Shipbuilding Ltd. (NESL)
- Intraco Group
- Narayangonj Engineering & Shipbuilding Ltd. (NESL)
- Khan Bahadur Group
Related Resources - Library
The value of law reports in the legal profession cannot be overemphasized. They can be regarded as the life-wire of the legal profession. We have a rich library with a mixture of printed and online legal databases. We have printed version of All England Commercial Cases, Indian Digest of Supreme Court cases, Yearbook Commercial Arbitration of Wolter Kluwer and most law reports of Bangladesh. We subscribe to the online legal database Manuputra providing access to most reputed law reports. Read more