Labour and Employment Transactions
Rahman’s Chambers is one of the leading law firms of Bangladesh when it comes to matters relating to Employment & Labour. The firm holds significant expertise and provides all sorts of support in dealing with issues surrounding this area. Our Corporate Department acts for a wide range of clients in numerous sectors, both for employers and individuals. We cover issues and claims involving all aspects of domestic and international employment law. We help clients to find the right course to steer through legislation that changes frequently and is often complex and confusing. Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2021 ranked us for Corporate and Finance which includes employment legal services and reviewed: has a recognised practice in such areas as …employment matters”;“It is a highly efficient team which always offers timely support”; ”A client comments that “they are very quick to come back to us with solutions and have been very helpful in giving advice on local laws, regulations and requirements.”
Advised clients “on various HR and labour compliance issues in Bangladesh.“
– Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Additionally has a recognized practice in such areas as business formation, projects and energy, M&A and employment matters.”
– Chambers & Partners, 2020
“he is a knowledgeable and very co-operative person. I have discussed many issues with him and he gives me the right suggestions.”
– Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Their response times are excellentand they make you feel generally very well informed..”
–Chambers & Partners, 2018
The ‘very responsible, responsive and knowledgeable’ Mohammed Forrukh Rahman heads the firm.
–Legal 500, 2018
Recommended for General Business Law
One of our respected clients was kind enough to comment on our work as follows.
We request Rahman’s Chambers to solve legally the problems of the Japanese companies in Bangladesh in respect of Litigation, Legal Notices, Framing Company Rules, Salary Structure for the National Staff, Contracts/Agreements, and Termination of National staffs. The services provided by the Rahman’s Chambers are excellent in terms of the timely work, high quality of work and reasonable fees. All members of the Chamber are capable and dedicated.
The Key Projects completed so far:
- Advised an Australian MNC on workers and their family’s insurance policy under the law of Bangladesh
- Advised a Japanese MNC by assisting in the formation of a committee and initiating disciplinary proceedings against an employee with alleged involvement in taking bribery involving the company’s business transaction.
- Advised Ralph Lauren on employment law matters.
- Advised Big W on HR & Labour compliance issues.
- Advised on several HR & labour compliance issues for Pouchen Group.
- Provided legal consultancy regarding Festival Bonus to Woolworths.
- Drafted employment agreement for a Major Chinese Construction Company.
- Provided legal consultancy regarding Festival Bonus to Woolworths.
- Assisted a number of clients in calculating termination benefits and helping with the whole process
- Assisted a number of clients with dismissal procedures.
- Advised a garments MNC, leather goods producer MNC based in Chittagong, and a number of local businesses on options of termination, furlough, layoff, and entrenchment due to redundancy and lockdown arising from COVID-19.
- Provided legal consultancy regarding Retrenchment to Li & Fung.
- Drafted HR policy for a major Danish garments sourcing company in Bangladesh
- Restructured of HR Policy of Pou Chen Group (Bangladesh Pou Hung Industrial Ltd) of KEPZ, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Restructured of HR Policy of Itochu Corporation, Representative Office, Dhaka
- Restructured of HR benefits of the International Potato Center.
- Restructured of HR Policy of Uttara Foods & Feeds Pvt. Ltd. (Venky’s)
Practice Group – Corporate
Labour and employment legal issues are very common in the business sector of Bangladesh. Whether it is a small enterprise or giant MNC dealing with employment law is a regular affair for them. Legal assistance is often required for drafting appointment letters, service contracts, termination letters, commencing a disciplinary proceeding and so on. On the other hand, established companies often require legal help for preparing the entire HR policy in complaints with labor and employment laws of Bangladesh. Needless to mention that, strong legal support is frequently required for defending cases filed in labor tribunals. In order to help the business community, our ADR, Land and Tribunals team comprising experienced lawyers have been dealing with the above matters efficiently.
Over the last few years, the firm has advised several local & foreign clients, including multinational companies and industries, who employ thousands of workers, on their existing HR policy with a view to ensuring compliance with the applicable labor law & practice.
Our services include as follows:
- Drafting standard HR policy documents for employers including disciplinary and grievance procedures, written terms of employment and employee handbooks.
- Reviewing existing HR policy.
- Drafting & preparing Appointment Letters, Termination Letters, Show Cause Letters, Notice for Promotion, etc., in compliance with labor law.
- Calculation of wages of the workers.
- Market Research and recommend the market practice.
- Advising on inquiry proceeding in compliance with labor law.
We draft template contracts with regard to both labour and non labour employees. Such contracts are tailor made for each particular organization. Such tailor made contracts plays a major role towards avoidance of possible labour disputes.
The firm has been involved in the restructuring of a major public sector power company for nearly three years and also successfully handled litigation involving more than 450 employees. Our practical knowledge and experience in restructuring would surely be useful for the clients under similar situation. The firm has been involved in a major restructuring project of employees of major multinational company having local setup in Bangladesh.
Our services includes as follows:
- Ranking & grading of existing employees
- Restructuring HR policy
- Restructuring Provident fund, gratuity and bonus
- Restructuring Annual Leave, Sick Leave, Casual leave etc.
Legal issues involving senior executives are different compared to workers. Employers often differentiate between worker and senior management and there is nothing which can stop them from doing so. Such variation often works well for the both senior employee, employer, workers and entire company as a whole. We have formed specialized practice group composed with our lawyers as well as experienced HR professionals for such delicate HR issues.
Framing policy for provident fund and gratuity deposit fund, and constituting fund by creation of trust is not easy job as this involves complex legal issues and touches different legal askects like trust, taxation, NBR regulations, banking regulations etc. We assist have assisted client in this respect on few occasions successfully.
Our Related Clients
- Itochu Corporation, (Dhaka Liaison Office).
- The Westin, Dhaka
- Japan Bangladesh Expanding Company Ltd. (JBEC)
- Maruhisa Pacific Co. Ltd.
- How Are You Textile Industry Ltd.
- EXCEL Communications Ltd.
- Partners in Population and Development (PPD)
- International Potato Centre
- Bangladesh Bank
- Dhaka Power Distribution Company Limited (DPDC)
- Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB)
- Roshawa Textiles Ltd
- GIII Limited, Bangladesh Liasion, Dhaka
- KB Foods Limited (Khan Bahadur Group)
- TBEA CO., LTD.
- Grameen Uniqlo Co. Limited
- Li & Fung
- Pou Chen Group (Bangladesh Pou Hung Industrial Ltd)
Related Resources - Library
The value of law reports in the legal profession cannot be overemphasized. They can be regarded as the life-wire of the legal profession. We have a rich library with a mixture of printed and online legal databases. We have printed version of All England Commercial Cases, Indian Digest of Supreme Court cases, Yearbook Commercial Arbitration of Wolter Kluwer and most law reports of Bangladesh. We subscribe to the online legal database Manuputra providing access to most reputed law reports. Read more
- Shamsuddin and 254 others vs Bangladesh, reported in 2 CLR (HCD) 523