Labour and Employment Matters
Labour and employment legal issues are very common in the business sector of Bangladesh. Whether it is a small enterprise or giant MNC dealing with employment law is a regular affair for them. Legal assistance is often required for drafting appointment letter, service contract, termination letter, commencing a disciplinary proceeding and so on. On the other hand, established companies often require legal help for preparing entire HR policy in complaints with labour and employment laws of Bangladesh. Needless to mention that, strong legal support is frequently required for defending cases filed in labour tribunals. In order to help the business community, our ADR, Land and Tribunals team comprising experienced lawyers has been dealing with the above matters efficiently.
“Additionally has a recognised practice in such areas as business formation, projects and energy, real estate and employment matters.”
– Chambers & Partners, 2020
Mr. Mohammed Forrukh Rahman has been ranked (Band II) for Corporate & Finance.
“he is a knowledgeable and very co-operative person. I have discussed many issues with him and he gives me the right suggestions.”
– Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Their response times are excellent and they make you feel generally very well informed..”
–Chambers & Partners, 2018
Rahman’s Chambers is one of the leading law firms of Bangladesh when it comes to matters relating to Employment & Labour. The firm holds significant expertise and provides all sorts of support in dealing with issues surrounding this area.
Our ADR, Land & Tribunals team acts for a wide range of clients in numerous sectors, both for employers and individuals. We cover issues and claims involving all aspects of domestic and international employment law. We help clients to find the right course to steer through legislation that changes frequently and is often complex and confusing.
Our dedicated Corporate Department who focuses on equal opportunities and discrimination issues. We handle the litigation arising from such situations, whilst also providing critical advice to clients on noncontentious in-house matters, with a view of avoiding court action in the future.
One of our respected clients was kind enough to comment about our work as follows.
We request Rahman’s Chambers to solve legally the problems of the Japanese companies in Bangladesh in respect of Litigation, Legal Notices, Framing Company Rules, Salary Structure for the National Staff, Contracts/Agreements, and Termination of National staffs. The services provided by the Rahman’s Chambers are excellent in terms of the timely work, high quality of work and reasonable fees. All members of the Chamber are capable and dedicated.
The Key Projects completed so far:
- Advised Ralph Lauren on employment law matters.
- Advised and dealt with a complex dispute and claim involving accidental death of a worker of a Taiwanese client at a garments industry by taking steps as per labour law and before the labour court.
- Drafted HR policy for a major Danish garments sourcing company in Bangladesh.
- Advised Big W on HR & Labour compliance issues.
- Assisted a major Japanese client in reaching an out of court settlement in a complex litigation arising from labour disputes.
- Advised on several HR & labour compliance issues for Pouchen Group.
- Restructured of HR Policy of Pou Chen Group (Bangladesh Pou Hung Industrial Ltd) of KEPZ, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Restructured of HR Policy of Itochu Corporation, Representative Office, Dhaka
- Restructured of HR benefits of International Potato Center.
- Restructured of HR Policy of Uttara Foods & Feeds Pvt. Ltd. (Venky’s) & successfully handled a number of labor disputes for Uttara Foods & Feeds Pvt. Ltd.
- Successfully handled a number of labor court cases for a leading garments company Roshowa Textiles Industries Ltd, How Are You Textiles Industries Ltd., and two leading Japanese garments having subsidiary in Bangladesh.
- Successfully completed conciliation with a worker of a multinational company in Bangladesh.
- Provided legal consultancy regarding Festival Bonus to Woolworths.
- Provided legal consultancy regarding Retrenchment to Li & Fung.
- Drafted employment agreement for a Major Chinese Construction Company.
- Successfully brought a proceeding in Labour Court on behalf of KB Foods Limited a subsidiary of Khan Bahadur Group.
Over the last few years, the firm has advised several local & foreign clients, including multinational companies and industries, who employ thousands of workers, on their existing HR policy with a view to ensuring compliance with the applicable labor law & practice.
Our services include as follows:
- Drafting standard HR policy documents for employers including disciplinary and grievance procedures, written terms of employment and employee handbooks.
- Reviewing existing HR policy.
- Drafting & preparing Appointment Letters, Termination Letters, Show Cause Letters, Notice for Promotion, etc., in compliance with labor law.
- Calculation of wages of the workers.
- Market Research and recommend the market practice.
- Advising on inquiry proceeding in compliance with labor law.
We draft template contracts with regard to both labour and non labour employees. Such contracts are tailor made for each particular organization. Such tailor made contracts plays a major role towards avoidance of possible labour disputes.
The chambers have advised a major Japanese Textile Manufacturer and a Sewing Machines Manufacturer company with termination of senior management and also participated in the conciliation meeting successfully. Our expertise in mediation and special training surely contributed towards successful restructuring of the said company, where, at the same time, amicably. Our strong knowledge of labour and employment laws and ability to negotiate is a key factor for reaching quick solutions mutually without putting the client in further difficulties, disputes or litigation.
The firm has been involved in the restructuring of a major public sector power company for nearly three years and also successfully handled litigation involving more than 450 employees. Our practical knowledge and experience in restructuring would surely be useful for the clients under similar situation. The firm has been involved in a major restructuring project of employees of major multinational company having local setup in Bangladesh.
Our services includes as follows:
- Ranking & grading of existing employees
- Restructuring HR policy
- Restructuring Provident fund, gratuity and bonus
- Restructuring Annual Leave, Sick Leave, Casual leave etc.
Our Tribunal & ADR team, under the guidance and supervision of our Head of Chambers, regularly appear before the labor tribunal and the labor appellate tribunal.
Our services include as follows:
- Handling the employment issues that arise when corporate transactions and reorganizations take place, including outsourcing, both on a domestic and international basis.
- Handling non-labor issues arising under an employment contract and related litigation
- Handling litigation in the form of challenging Order of Labour Appellate Tribunals in the Hon’ble High Court.
- Representing clients before Tribunals constituted for resolving labor disputes, at Labour courts, and when necessary before the Labour Appellate Tribunal.
- Guiding clients on how to deal with demands made irrationally or apparently illegally.
- Drafting necessary replies, petitions, etc.
Our Related Clients
- Itochu Corporation, (Dhaka Liaison Office).
- The Westin, Dhaka
- Japan Bangladesh Expanding Company Ltd. (JBEC)
- Maruhisa Pacific Co. Ltd.
- How Are You Textile Industry Ltd.
- EXCEL Communications Ltd.
- Partners in Population and Development (PPD)
- International Potato Centre
- Bangladesh Bank
- Dhaka Power Distribution Company Limited (DPDC)
- Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB)
- Roshawa Textiles Ltd
- GIII Limited, Bangladesh Liasion, Dhaka
- KB Foods Limited (Khan Bahadur Group)
- TBEA CO., LTD.
- Grameen Uniqlo Co. Limited
- Li & Fung
- Pou Chen Group (Bangladesh Pou Hung Industrial Ltd)
- Shamsuddin and 254 others vs Bangladesh, reported in 2 CLR (HCD) 523