The Divisional Head of Rahman’s Chambers remains internally and externally responsible for a good number of legal work of an entire practice Division, which comprises of more than one department. He/She is also generally the Head of one or more practice Departments under the same Division and depending on expertise may be a senior member of one/more department under different division. The Chambers heavily rely on the legal expertise of the Divisional heads, who supervises the work of other junior members of the Departments and ensures quality of the legal work by consulting, communicating with clients and by signing opinions and other related legal documents.
Ms. Narita Navin Khan is a Barrister of the Hon’ble Society of Lincoln’s Inn, London and an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. She has altogether 11 years’ background in working in the field of corporate, finance & Construction.
Ms. Khan has worked with Dr. Kamal Hossain and Associates from 2008 to 2011 as an associate as a full time lawyer with active interest in corporate and commercial matters, arbitration law, labour law and corporate litigation. She assisted in various cases, both corporate and commercial, as well as represented the senior lawyers in court, conferred with clients on corporate and court matters, drafting of agreements and pleadings etc.
After leaving the firm in 2011, she started to work independently and mostly notably as a retainer of Summit Group. While working as a retainer for Summit she developed expertise in different specialized works like project finance, construction and M & A and so on.
Since 2019, Ms. Khan is the Head of the Corporate & Finance Division & also the Department head of Corporate Department. She is a senior member of Construction Department.
Corporate and Finance
- Conducted due diligence on a number of legal issues involving procurement of equipment etc on behalf of Persero PT, for a govt bidding process under the Ministry of Railways, in connection with the Roopur Atomic Power Plant.
Corporate M & A (Merger)
- Summit Alliance Port Limited with Ocean Containers Limited.
- Summit Communications Limited with Vertex Communications Limited.
- Summit Power Limited with Summit Narayanganj Power Limited, Summit Uttaranchal. Power Company Limited, and Summit Purbanchol Power Company Limited.
- Young one Shoes Accessories Industries Limited with Youngone Sports Shoes Industries
- Pacific Zipper Bangladesh Limited with HHH Accessories Industry Limited.
- Youngone (CEPZ) Limited with Youngone Sportswear (CEPZ) Limited.
Titas Sportswear Industries Ltd with Lalmai Sportswear Industries Ltd
Youngone Sports Shoes Industries Ltd with Youngone Shoes Accessories Industries Ltd
Ms. Khan has deep understanding on projects finance transactions involving BOT/BOO based PPP projects for her long engagement with Summit group. She was involved in negotiating several finance documents with Multilateral development banks e.g. Islamic Development Bank, international financial institutions e.g. IFC, development financial institutions like DEG, FMO, OFID, Regional development banks e.g. ADB. She was involved with the following works amongst others:
- Acted as Project Sponsor’s counsel in relation to the implementation and financing for the following power projects Summit Narayanganj Power Limited – Negotiated and concluded Term Loan Facility and other security documentation between Summit Narayanganj Power Company Limited and DEG – DEUTSCHE INVESTITIONS- UND ENTWICKLUNGSGESELLSCHAFT MBH and NEDERLANDSE FINANCIERINGS- MAATSCHAPPIJ VOOR ONTWIKKELINGSLANDEN N.V for USD 45m
- Summit Meghnaghat Power Company Limited – Negotiated and concluded long term financing of dual fuel power plant for USD 190m with the Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL), Standard Chartered Bank and a syndicate of European DFIs, as well as EPC and O& amp; M contracts with The First Northeast Electric Power Engineering Co. Ltd and KEPCO Plant Service & Engineering Co., Ltd respectively.
- Ace Alliance Power Limited – Negotiated and concluded long term financing of dual fuel power plant for USD 68 m with IDCOL, OFID and ICD.
- Summit Bibiyana II Power Company Limited – Negotiated and concluded long term financing of USD 210m with ADB, IFC and Islamic Development Bank.
Construction & Investment
- Advised Big W over a complex Building & Construction due diligence involving legal compliance with Building code, Fire Safety, etc. of a commercial building located at a prime location in Dhaka.
- Negotiated and concluded EPC contracts between Summit Narayanganj Power Company Limited with The First Northeast Electric Power Engineering Ltd
- Negotiated and concluded O&M contracts between Summit Narayanganj Power Company Limited with KEPCO Plant Service & Engineering Co., Ltd.
Investment -Capital Market (IPO)
- Assisted in the equity investment and sale and transfer of shares of Summit Corporation Limited to Summit Power International (Pte.) Limited, with international financing corporations.
- Assisted in the preparation of the IPO process of Summit Power International Limited, on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited (“SGX-ST”), which involved due diligence on the company and its subsidiaries in Bangladesh, reviewing the legal portions of the prospectus, responding to various queries from the SGX-ST.
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent), Inns of Court School of Law, UK (2007)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Professional Legal Skills, Inns of Court School of Law, UK (2007)
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (Upper Second Class), University of London, UK (2006)
- Diploma-in-law, University of London, UK (2004)
- Higher School Certificate (1st Class), Viqarunnisa Noon School, Dhaka (2002)
- Secondary School Certificate (1st Class), Viqarunnisa Noon School, Dhaka, (2000)
- Barrister-at-Law of Lincoln’s Inn, London (2007)
- Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh (2010)
- Advocate, District Court of Bangladesh (2008)
Recognition and Award
- Contributed to the Bangladesh Chapter of ‘Investing Across Borders 2010’, a World Bank Group report providing objective measures of foreign direct investment regulation and its implementation.
- Divisional Head, Corporate & Finance Division (September ’19 – till date)
- Ex Associate, Dr. Kamal Hossain and Associates (October ‘08 – May ‘11)